Sunday, September 21, 2008

Primavera

Happy Spring day! Today is the first day of spring here in the southern hemisphere and very ironically its the ugliest day we've had in at least a week. Its celebrated pretty widely nonetheless. They have days for everything here! Since I've been here its been Friends' day, Childrens' Day, Teachers' Day and now today is also students day so tons of people flooded the parks for picnics to celebrate. I myself didn't participate because I celebrated last night by going out dancing and therefore slept through any festivities today. Speaking of sleeping and students, I've realized lately just how different my life is here. My priorities are completely different than when I'm in LA. For one, I have absolutely no academic/scholastic related work ethic. I think my daily life is just too stimulating to put it aside for books. School is not my priority here and since I only have class 3 days a week its easy to forget about it. Although, all this unstructured time does give me stress about things I think I should be doing. Its just very hard to make myself be proactive in terms of school even though there are things I do need to do once in a while. I think I'm doing a different kind of learning. The other day, I gave myself a 5 day weekend because I took Wednesday off of class to go see the Ballet Argentina and you know what? I felt very fulfilled. Another fulfillment in my life is my newly acquired gym membership. Ive been twice already to Megatlon and it feels pretty nice to be active. Its kinda the posh gym around here but still the people are nice. I guess you're paying them to be that way. This action of going to the gym came after the day I decided to solve a debate for myself. So here they have these cookies/treats called alfajores. Many times they are filled with dulce de leche and covered with chocolate but you can get variations of flavors. They have these things in bakeries and made by large companies who package them up and sell them at kiosks. Even nabisco has an oreo one- which I dubbed the 'alfajoreo'- but I have yet to try it even though I here its really tasty! So, there is this giant debate here over who makes the better alfajor. In terms of those made for wider distribution. There is a cafe chain here called Havanna that competes with a brand called Cachafaz. Apparently the creators of Cachafaz worked for Havanna and when they left they took the recipes and improved them. So, I decided over a few hours that I would make my own informed decision. Really, I had just been hungry so I bought a Havanna and then later I wanted another so I decided on the Cachafaz. The results are in and well, they aren't that much different. But, I guess I would a slightly higher grade to the cachafaz. haha. After reading this story, you must really realize where my priorities lie here!

Okay, well love you all!

No comments: